Accommodation and Host Families



Students may live with one of the following:

  •  Their Mother or Father who may apply for a Guardian visa to accompany them to NZ
  •  In a school-approved homestay
  • With a family member or close family friend known to the student's parents. This is called a Designated Caregiver.

Please note:  Students may NOT live alone, or in accommodation shared with friends, even if they are aged 18 years or over.


We have many wonderful homestay families.  With a homestay you live with a local family in their home, in a fully furnished room of your own. They’ll provide you with meals, do your laundry and help you to settle into day-to-day life in New Zealand. A homestay is a great way to get to know some friendly New Zealanders, develop your English skills and get a close-up look at New Zealand’s way of life and culture.  Our families have been visited, interviewed and trained by a member of the International Team.  Each member of the household aged 18 years or over will also have been police vetted.  Weekly homestay fees are to be paid in advance to Ormiston Senior College for the duration of the student's stay. We will then pay the fees on your behalf into the homestay family's bank account.

Homestay families are expected to: 

  • Provide a safe and friendly living and studying environment.

  • Provide day to day care including:

    • 3 meals a day and access to snacks

    • own room or shared by negotiation

    • bed and bedding

    • access to a bathroom with showering facilities

    • laundry facilities

    • study desk, chair and reading light

    • adequate bedroom furniture to store clothes, books etc.

    • adequate heating

    • assistance with transport arrangements to and from school as appropriate

    • fully serviced NZ standard smoke alarms

  • Treat the student with respect

  • Make the student feel a part of the family

  • Advise the college of any changes or additions to the household

  • Advise the college immediately of any concerns or problems with the student. e.g. behaviour or illness

  • Advise the college immediately if the student seems very homesick or sad

Host families are not obliged to:

  • Pay for toll or mobile phone calls

  • Cook special food

  • Insure the student’s goods or pay for property the student damages or loses

  • Offer accommodation to visiting friends or relatives


  • If you intend to live with a Designated Caregiver, fill in the Designated Caregiver Agreement when completing the application form.  Please note: the designated caregiver also has to complete part of this form to acknowledge their understanding of the responsibility involved and agreement. 
  • If you wish to live in a school arranged homestay, fill in the Homestay Agreement Form when completing the application form.