The Learning Advisor is pivotal to the success of students at Ormiston Senior College.
Each student has a teacher who is their Learning Adviser who, ideally, they will be with for the three years at the college. The Learning Advisor groups are small with an aim of no more than 18 students in a group. The role of the Learning Advisor is to mentor and monitor the student during their time at the college. Students and Learning Advisors together meet several times a week to set goals, reflect on progress and discuss their learning.
The role includes:
- Ensuring each student has someone who supports their academic and social growth.
- Tracking and mapping each student's NCEA progress.
- Supporting the student to take responsibility for their own learning.
- Providing a link between the school and the home.
- Encouraging participation in the wider life of the college. Providing guidance for life beyond school including planning and career pathways.