Careers and Pathways
“Preparing and inspiring our students to achieve their very best in a global society”
Ormiston Senior College acknowledges the vision, principles, values and key competencies in the New Zealand Curriculum and values the unique place of Maori as tangata whenua of New Zealand.
With regard to Careers and Pathways education we value in particular:
- Personalised learning opportunities that are flexible and authentic and meet each student’s aspirations and educational needs
- Achievement of excellence and a culture where success is fostered, celebrated and admired
- Supporting students to take responsibility for their own learning and for the learning of others
- Equipping students with the confidence and capability to pursue their preferred futures and lifelong learning
- Outstanding educators who foster curiosity, and inspire and support students to successfully push the boundaries of their abilities
- Teaching and learning based on leading edge research, the creation and sharing of ideas and knowledge, and a commitment to continuous improvement
Career information, advice and guidance are implicit in The New Zealand Curriculum and career education and guidance in schools directly addresses New Zealand’s National Education Goals (NEGs):
- to “enable all students to realise their full potential as individuals, and to develop the values needed to become full members of New Zealand’s society” (NEG 1)
- to develop “the knowledge, understanding, and skills needed by New Zealanders to compete successfully in the modern, ever-changing world” (NEG 3).
The National Administration Guidelines support these goals. They require each school board, through the principal and staff, “to provide appropriate career education and guidance for all students in year 7 and above, with a particular emphasis on specific career guidance for those students who have been identified by the school as being at risk of leaving school unprepared for the transition to the workplace or further education/training” (NAG 1 vi).
The OSC Strategic Careers and Pathways Overview 2013 is informed by resources such as:
- Secondary Career Education Benchmarks
- Career Education and Guidance in New Zealand Schools
- Tertiary Education Strategy 2014-2019
- Ka Hikitia – Accelerating Success 2013-2017 and Pasifika Education Plan 2013-2017
- Youth Guarantee strategies including ART 2013-2017, Vocational Pathways and STP